Friday, October 12, 2007

Cup Runneth Over

At InterBike this year, got to take a look at some of the Sycip super models ... jayzus, those were sweet rigs. And with them giving away a CrossDresser frame in the Cup Series ~ it just gets the juices flowing and i'm going to have to make the trip up to Sacto for the numero duo race.

But before that, it's classic CCCX time on Saturday. awww yeah, park a half-mile away, find the start in some boony section of Fort Ord(inance) and ride loops around the happy trails for a couple hours.

that's the real deal, baby.
-

CCCX is the local's series where we fight it tooth and nail, but smile all the time 'cuz it's low-key laid-backery. I was wishing some laid-backery upon a few individuals at the Pilarcitos opener last weekend, by the way. What the frack? People warming up on the course like a-holes ~ actually SPRINTING with races during their warmup? Fighting for position on the course with racers during a warmup? Riding 5 feet behind racers during a warmup? So, so uncool.

This is the stupid behavior that must be kaboshed. I'm in favor of Pilarcitos' decision to stop all warmup on the course while races are in progress. It's a penalty we should ALL pay until we're able to police ourselves into acting like gawdamn cross'ers and be courteously cool again.
-

Anyway, back to CCCX ~ JRobo has man-handled the first two events in the Elite boys division. But with his hitman, AJM, out of action for a few weeks - there might be enough chink in armor exposed for the Lobster crew to David that Strawberry Goliath. I'll be there swinging like a 9 year-old ... trying to set up one of the sea-foam boys for a win. Za'Wolf, O'dawg, and DJ Snead all have a decent chance of taking the series away from the big man ... but, it'll be uphill boulder pushing for sure. JRobo is skinny and fast right now.

Speaking of skinny and fast ~ Stellar is leading the Elite Femmes and I'm seeing her getting nothing but quicker these next couple months. She's fixing her sights on Nationals for the first time in awhile and all of us heathens will be going nutz with the cowbells for her.

Stella is NorCross.

With Kerlin skipping over to Belgium for a little ol' World Cup ... CCCX looks to be a battle between Stellar and the Bellas. VB riders Fitzimmons, 'Tash Perry, and Barb are all within striking distance for the series title, but we'll know more after this weekend who is in the driver's seat.

But back to Kerlin ... with her heading across the pond, it looks like the NCNCA Cup might be firmly in the hands of LaLaLloyd. Lloyd is racing the Pilarcitos series with the B Men .. knowing that she needs the hargey-bargey training to get herself ready to take on Katherine the Great at Nationals. But, in the Cup series - she's racing with the women and after Sunday's Round 2 ... we'll get an idea of who will be challenging her for that title.

(will Shelley Olds race this weekend? Cal Giant domination on the horizon? Metzger, Beggs, Olds ~ holee shyte, that's like ... the Charlie's Angels of Cross)

The Men's Elite title looks to be spinning tunes in DJ Snead's head at the moment. HRS Rock Lobster has Wyandt, Josh, and O'Dell hovering around the podium ... but there's always hombres like the Falconer and TThompson to darkhorse things up. We'll see what Round 2 offers us.

Anyway, i better get back to work ... see you all out there this weekend. CCCX will be in PERFECT conditions with a nice dousing of rain softening up the happy trails. It's gonna be brraaap-central on Saturday. And then we'll get to check out the new grass up in Sacto to finish out the weekend.

paradisimo.
~m

17 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

power of the beard and wolf mane might be the only tool against the bonny dooner..

Everyone who grew up in Bonny Doon knows that Jrobo has this tune pumping through his head when he races:
"Bonny doon my country home.. Its a place I'll come back to when I'm grown... its where i got my start, and it will stay inside my heart.. Bonny Doon my country home..."

Im in Oregon and I still remember that damn song.. ugh

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from what i know of the trails in ft ord, this rain will only make the riding better!

it looks like it is going to be happy riding on some happy trails for sure

3:30 PM  
Blogger Dave Carr said...

Your comment on the too serious dudes at Pilarcitos recalls the babble post on the Pro-B's.

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Afraid you're right on target OV,
seems like warming up on the course should be banned at Pilarcitos. Too bad, but I don't see it getting any better. It'll be like a real UCI race, between laps and all that, but it was pretty bad last Sunday.

Brij

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

off the subject...

http://jamfoto.smugmug.com/gallery/907442/1/41486071/Large

dave, that's the link to the photo you refer to as a 'nice bike' owned by a 'pro-B'. yes, it's nice, and in that photo i was a B. but i bought that frame for $350 new, built the bike with old 9 speed parts and wheels from 2002(seat post and saddle are from my 1997 mtb). oh and it's weight could be described as 'tank'(sans cannon of course). that pic was taken two years ago. still ridin' that 'nice' bike in the A's. but this year the skinsuit says 'dfL'. does that make me cooler now? i like this blog stuff. it feels so good to rip on people that i know nothing about. perhaps i will continue...

oh wait, i was just kidding about that. i am actually not offended. please accept me, i so want to be cool...(sarcasm)

Mack Chew, So-Pro-B-or-A-or-whatever-cool-people-think-i-should-'B'(no pun intended)

8:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not interested in fueling the PRO B debate, but curious if anyone knows if we are dressing left or right tomorrow?

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allthough I am just a lowly C, during Fairfax I had to call out to many women who were warming up on the course during my race. It was kinda a bummer and some of their reactions were as if they had the right to be there. The last cyclocross race I did was in 1990, I think that 14 people total turned out. Sure is a different scene now. Still a shit load of fun though.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mack, take it as a compliment. you're now the epitome of cool in your dfl kit so whatever you ride is what all the kids will be riding next year. those "831" kids are all on carbon forks and white rims these days anyways, keeping it real.

speaking of over-doing it, I saw some serious unsportsman-like conduct in the masters race in brisbane. a rider who stumbled in the run-up actually physically prevented another rider from passing using his arm and there was an incredible display of expletives and other really bad behavior. keep it clean and let your legs do the talking, guys. you were fighting for 40th place and old enough to know better. c'mon.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Dave Carr said...

Mack and anyone else caught out by my stir 'o' the pot, you all can just chill... I'm not even racing this year (new baby) so you kick my ass standing still. And as a longtime A rider I know well the maxim, first LOOK fast, then GO fast. I was a B once too and serious as all get out.

As to the unsportsmanlike riders that has gotta stop NOW. I saw this in the masters at Golden Gate last year too. I don't know what cyclocross universe you came from but what little glory accrues to winners here comes from your peers...without respect that 23rd place means nuthin, jack.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Odd world where it's OK to call people "douche" with alarming regularity, then hold yourself up as the arbiter of right thought and action.

Less blogging, more introspection OV.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to fight the dude next team he blocks me from passing,
it was me he blocked and I am going to punch him next time and this will teach him a lesson.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats wrong with calling a douche - a douche? Or for that matter, an overly PC nerd - an overly pc nerd?

Less nerdiness - more name calling 'anonymous'

and pedal harder it'll make ya a wee bit meaner

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please note to whomever is in charge of the NCNCA Cup standings (after round 2). They're really screwed up!

Many people who raced (myself included) are not listed at all, and others are listed wrong.

Hope to see this corrected soon.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy who's tryin to do a job gets called a "douche" because you don't like the way he does it?

I'm sure the guy's wife or kid would love to read that.

Same OV who blogjack up a customer for wanting a cup o' joe at the local hippie lettuce commune cum Starbucks in under 30 minutes.

Let the rationalizations begin.

10:41 AM  
Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

careful ... you might spill that cried milk.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PLEASE fix the Cup points/standings!

I of course appreciate all the hard work that goes into putting on and running a race, but as a racer that also works hard (especially at Rancho "El" Grasso") and pay's to race, I think we'd ALL like to see correct names and placing!

J.S.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many, many years ago I started racing bikes, 1982 to be exact. I raced until about 1991 with those last 3 years doing cx races, when there would maybe be 10-20 people at cx races. As I moved up in categories I thought I was a hot shit rider. After I raced in Nationals, Casper Stage Race and others, I realized that I wasn't all that good and was permanently humbled for life. When I read all these comments; cup results wrong, douche, people blocking, hitting, name calling etc. I have to laugh. We, you all, and I, no matter how you slice it are weekend warriors. We are out there to have fun. After not doing it since 1991 and getting back into it, I am having a blast. Come on everyone, take yourselves a little less seriously!But hey, I could have placed higher if someone didn't do the barney move and crash in front of me at Sacramento?! I was going to hit him and they said I was 13th when I was 10th...oh ya, I'm racing C's!

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home