Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Be Careful Out There, Kids...

I just heard from Paule Bates and he sent a message that Julie Barrot was struck by a car last night. The dynamic Roaring Mouse duo was out doing intervals in an office park when some dude in a Lexus nailed Julie from behind right before Paule's eyes.

"She had just finished an interval and was about 30' in front of me and cruising in the bike lane at about 18-20 mph. A driver in a lexus drove into the bike lane and hit her directly. I looked up in time to see the impact and Julie flying through the air. To date, this is the most horrific thing I've ever seen and continues to loop in my mind."


Anyhow, she's gonna be all right, though she was out like a light and apparently Paule thought she was a goner. He also said her helmet was destroyed and probably saved her life.

After all was said and done she didn't break anything and has some deep bruises and soreness - she's a tough cookie. Good thing, too, because I'm gonna ask Julie to feed me at the next Pilarcitos race...

Get well soon Julie!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the story of the driver of the Lexus?

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helmets are good... no doubt saved my life as well. I hate reading about this stuff and the memories it brings back about getting hit. I read this type of report WAY too often.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud to be part of such a wonderful community. Julie and I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of emotion and comments by everyone. I can't say thank you enough to everyone who has come up and given us a hug or told us how glad that everything is going to be ok. It means alot to both of us.

We are still waiting on the police report. The driver was pretty much in shock and took 100% responsibility at the scene. I'm sure his nightmares are as vivid as mine.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John:

I'm greatful that he didn't break my arms so I can continue feeding you!

Thanks to everyone for the huge outpouring of love and community. We are very lucky to hang out with such fine people. Makes me proud to be a part of this merry little band of bike geeks!

I hope to be out there racing again with you guys sometime in October. It was really fun seeing everyone at DFL and getting those hugs. Thanks again. Oh and ALWAYS WEAR A FREAKING HELMET!

Signed,

The banged up half of the dynamic mouse duo.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home